Saturday, June 29, 2019

Eternal Project Reset

My last, badly mis-dated, post told of plans for the first few months of industrious post retirement hobbying.  Nothing, of course, works out as planned.

What's worked:

  • I am retired.  I like being retired.
  • I have traveled to London and Florence as well as trips to Toronto and Ottawa.  Lots of traveling to come.
  • I have helped run an actual prize winning game at Cangames in Ottawa! 
  • I have completed Objective One from my last post.  I am indeed running a GURPS campaign set in 15th Century Florence  -- it's called, uncleverly, Magnifico.  Great fun with happy players and lots of laughter.
  • And most important there is a wonderful new person in my life.  Fortunately for my projects, she's a busy writer and artist so I have to keep up my game!
So instead of listing dozens of Objectives lets classify and prioritize:

Writing

I want to work from Magnifico as my own campaign to Magnifico as a setting.  This presents some interesting challenges, the most significant being "how do I write about history without writing a history book?".  Most RPGs leverage the common cultural stereotypes  -- a feedback between fantasy books, bad history in movies, and video games endlessly recycled.  I think -- and at least some of the material I see getting YouTube views and the like supports the hypothesis -- is that some RPG players and GMs do care about historical accuracy and at least consistent settings.  

So, a timed, measurable objective:
  • By September  2019, complete a useful draft a setting for an Italian hill town with historical details, characters, and adventure hooks.  The setting will be system-neutral but will have guidance for using at least GURPS, 5e, and probably Savage Worlds or Fate.  If I am satisfied that I have the text I need, I will move on to commission art, produce graphics, produce a book and self publish on a PDF platform such as DriveThruRpg.
Minis

I have quite a few unfinished miniatures project.  I have resumed painting so I am no longer completely frozen.  The projects I plan to push ahead with, with no particular deadline
  • 28mm figures for Magnifico play.  I have quite a few painted, and if I can plod on at half a dozen a week I will soon have everything I need for quite elaborate games.  I am considering developing another set of rules, working title "civic violence" for gaming full contact politics in the Italian Renaissance city.  This would be fun at a low level of complexity as a convention game.
  • In connection with that, I have the tools I need to build XPS foam models of building for a miniatures game.  I have been quite inspired by my trip to Florence.  A few test pieces needed followed by a plan for a modular system.
  • 28mm Old School Napoleonics.  I have picked up a reprint of the Charge! rules -- the first mini game I played -- and ordered the figures for a full "regiment" of Austrian infantry.  I am not sure I will ever use them, but they will look lovely in the cabinet.
  • 6mm Italian Renaissance for Impetus.  Fun rules, and 6mm is not that hard to paint.
  • And I will get those 1:3000 navel figures done, because they too are just plain good looking.
  • I have other concepts in 10 and 15mm but they will wait until at least some of the others are on display.
Boardgaming

I seem to have ended up with a mishmash of Europa games that need to be sorted, some of which truly belong in the hands of my friend Martin.  Europa players seem to like to put everything in the same box so I have a LOT of sorting to do.

I also want, as part of my non-wargamer life, to spend some time board-gaming with my friends; the "German" style games are good fun and I no longer feel as abashed by hobby as I once did.

And of course...

I have no intention of ceasing to enjoy my "normal life." We have trips planned, I still have my charity and choir to keep me busy, I have an enormous reading list, and life needs to be lived to the full.

1 comment: